October 12, 2009

Daily Devotional 10/12/09 Chained

From: Reflections

John 8:36, NIV: So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

The Bible tells us that Jesus came to set us free. Paul writes, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by the yoke of slavery" (Gal.5:1). In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus encourages, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and by burden is light." Jesus did not free us so that we could remain helplessly bound to the chains of our past. What once held us as chains, no longer has power over us. If we are still enslaved it is due to our learned helplessness and no longer the chains, since Christ has broken the chains and set us free. It is not because we are bound, but because we do not truly believe that we are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment