January 07, 2008

A Great Perspective

I found this wonderful quote on the Dallas Morning News religion blog:


"When faith simplifies things that need to remain complex instead of giving us
strength to live with complexity, when it gives answers where none exist,
instead of helping us appreciate the sacredness of living with questions, when
it offers certainty when there needs to be doubt, and when it tells us that we
have arrived when we should still be searching - then there is a problem with
that faith."
- Rabbi Brad Hirschfield, author of the new book "You Don't Have to be Be Wrong for Me to Be Right."

I don't often quote Rabbis here, being a Christian myself, but wisdom is wisdom regardless of where the originator worships.

I hear right wing fundamentalits spout how simple everything is to understand, how they have all the answers, how anyone living outside of their philosophy is a heretic, how anyone in a same-sex relationship is an abomination with no room for doubt.

Then I see that quote and realize that there are people who DO get it. WE don't have all the answers.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isiah 55:8-9

Any person who thinks that they understand it all it is actually putting themself up on a pedestal they will eventually fall off of. I'm content seeking the answers about life and God that I can obtain and accepting those that I'm not capable of understanding and that He does not see fit to reveal.

That's called faith folks, and that's what truly loving God is all about.

2 comments:

  1. I'm stealing the quote by the rabbi. Hope that's agreeable with you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those right wing fundamentalists are the problem. They are definitely wrong and should be enlightened like we are. Curse them, hooray for our group!

    ReplyDelete