January 09, 2008

A Gay Mayor? Not an Issue in Takoma Park, MD

Sometimes it's worth taking time to point out noteworthy items that are NOT a major issue. That is how I would describe the presence of Bruce Williams, the mayor of Takoma Park, Maryland (Pastor Brenda's home town) who also happens to be gay.


Here is an excerpt from the Washington Blade (thanks to Equality Maryland for the tip):


Meeting Bruce Williams is like meeting one of your neighbors when walking
to get milk or calling to ask for a cup of sugar.

After 15 years in public office, Williams, who is gay, was elected mayor of
Tacoma Park late last year. How have things changed in the 15 years since he’s
been in public life?

“Tuxedos,” he says, noting the more formal nature of being mayor.

“When I was first elected as a city council person in 1993,” Williams says,
“I wondered what it was going to be like running as an openly gay official. I
was happy to find out in Takoma Park that it just wasn’t an issue.”

Telling one of his favorite stories, Williams recalls the time a local
television reporter went to a house in his neighborhood when he was first
elected. A woman, with her hair in curlers and a baby on each hip, answers the
door.

Williams says the reporter asked if the woman knew her new councilman was
gay.

“And?” Williams recalls as the woman’s “who-cares” reaction.

When asked if being gay has affected him or his constituents, Williams
says, “I don’t think it has. I think it is just one factor among many. What my
constituents look at is my willingness to serve, my competence to serve, the
fact that I show up, I listen and I try and make thoughtful decisions.”

You can read the rest of the story at the Washington Blade.


No comments:

Post a Comment