October 11, 2007

Let's Get Personal

The more things change, the better they get if you're seeking God's will in your life. That's what Pastor Brenda and I are experiencing in our lives right now, and it's a very exciting time, especially for me. I've mentioned our church, Believers Covenant Fellowship in northern Virginia, on a fairly regular basis and told you that my wife Brenda is a Pastor there. I've also shared some about Apostle Dale, the leader of our little church. Well, they've gone and done it now--I've been appointed as a Pastor In Training.


That's right, for you fans of the old "Taxi" television show, in a year I'm on track to be Reverend Jim.


I hope it's no surprise for readers here that I am a practicing Christian, but the pastor part just might be. When I told my two best friends the news, their initial reaction was "Wow!" If I take a step back and look at my life three years ago today, when my beloved wife Bette suddenly passed away, to where I am now, happily married to Brenda, and advocating for the GLBT community in politics and the church, it's hard for me not to say WOW myself!


I am answering the call I have been hearing for a while now and moving into the ministry with the goal of being able to devote myself to it full time sooner rather than later. God has blessed me beyond any reasonable measure.


As I transition into this next phase of my life, you'll notice the content here change a bit. I'll still be posting about the important political and social issues facing the GLBT community, but I'll also be writing about my journey into the ministry, sharing what I learn along the way. I hope you will find it of value. I'll also share a bit more about my life, put myself out there more than I have so far. I had thought of starting another blog, but I decided against essentially establishing two identities for myself. GLBT advocacy, serving Jesus Christ, and life itself--it all works together and, as Paul wrote in Romans 8:28, it works to the good for those who love God.


I had a hard time swallowing that three years ago after losing my wife, but I'm living proof that those words are true. I hope you read something here that helps you believe that too.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations and many blessings to you, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations loved one.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, brother. It's nice to have the church validate your role, but the simple fact is, you've been doing it already.

    Please accept the dedicatory verse from my seminary class, as you begin your journey. This is a professor's translation of 1 Chronicles 28:20a -

    Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid of the size of the task, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.

    And let me share my favorite "on the journey" prayer, from my own tradition -

    Lord God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
    (Lutheran Book of Worship, page 137)

    ReplyDelete