March 25, 2007

A Straight GLBT Ally In Wyoming

If you're scouting the United States trying to find straight people who are standing up for GLBT equality, Wyoming is probably one of the last places you would look. If you did check that state, however, you would find Dan Zwonitzer, a Republican state representative.

According to this report by the Washington Blade, Zwonitzer spoke out against a proposed bill in the Wyoming house that would ban recognition of same-sex marriages performed outside the state.

“I believe this is the civil rights struggle of my generation,” Zwonitzer, who is straight, said during the meeting (see page 44 for full text). In the brief speech, he emphasized the importance of promoting equal rights so future generations wouldn’t look back on lawmakers with dismay.

Zwonitzer, a fifth-generation Wyomingite, says he became more conscious of the needs for civil rights for gays during his four years at Georgetown, where he was friends with several gay students.

“I guess I really began to understand their struggle and the struggle of the gay population to get basic rights,” Zwonitzer says. “It’s not special rights, it’s just equal rights. I guess it really was the politics of the East that broadened my horizons. Hopefully, I brought that back to Wyoming and expanded our horizons back here.”

A few days ago, I wrote about the lack of leadership being demonstrated on GLBT equality issues by current presidential candidates. In this situation, Zwonitzer showed the kind of leadership I felt was lacking at higher levels. Hopefully the people of Wyoming appreciate having a politician with the strength of character to stand up for something not because it was politically expedient, but because he felt it was the right thing to do.

1 comment: