March 26, 2007

Another Interesting View On Same-Sex Marriage

This essay on the site Online Journal is another well presented case for legalizing same-sex marriage. I particularly liked this part:

And equality is really all they want. That’s really all there is to the so-called “gay agenda.” Simple equality. No special privileges, just the same rights as everyone else.

Those who oppose same-sex marriage say that it would undermine the institution of marriage. But isn’t heterosexual infidelity already doing that?

I fail to see how legalizing same-sex marriage would have any effect on heterosexual marriages. As James Carville once said, “I was against gay marriage until I found out I didn’t have to have one.” No, anyone who feels that his own heterosexual marriage would be threatened if gays could marry obviously has some very deep issues that can’t be fixed through legislation.

This country was founded on the principle that all people -- not just the heterosexual ones -- are created equal. It’s time to make that principle a reality. It’s time for the homophobes of America to stop worrying about what consenting adults are doing in the privacy of their own homes. After all, time and time again we’ve seen that those who want to control what goes on in other people’s bedrooms seem to have the most to hide in their own. (Can you say “Ted Haggard”?)

This reminds me of the cliche, "the best defense is a good offense." Doesn't it seem like people with an awful lot to hide are among those most vociferously opposing same-sex marriage and anything that would move GLBT people even a centimeter closer to equal rights?

It's usually easier to attack someone else for their perceived shortcomings than to look in the mirror and address one's own.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron,
    I understand what you're saying, but reality is what it is. I'd rather be called a "domestic partner" with the same rights as married folk, than wait for the rights and the title "wife" until I'm dead and gone. Maybe that's selfish, but with my partner not working and my needing to have her on my health insurance, etc...it is helpful to think that New Mexico may actually give us the right to register as a domestic partnership so that we can be recognized by the state as a couple like any other married couple. I really honestly don't care if I am called married or partnered. If I have the same rights, what's the difference? It's still equal. If they made seperate rights for domestic partners that didn't mirror rights of married couples, then I wouldn't be happy with that. Changing the name doesn't bother me. Bottom line.
    Sharone

    ReplyDelete