February 21, 2007

"The Respectful Decline"

Jen Austin had a very interesting post recently on her blog. Titled "The Respectful Decline," Jen writes about a co-worker who refused to do production work for "Pride Radio," a gay-oriented radio station being startup up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

The co-worker is a professed Christian (as is Jen), but rather than come down all judgemental he respectfully expressed his reasons for not wanting to support this initiative, and he and Jen had a mature, sensitive exchange of views regarding this issue.

I love what Aaron said to me about declining to produce the Pride Radio promo. He said, "I just hope nobody else hears about this, and feels like I'm judging them....I'm really not....I'm judging myself more than anything. Sometimes I get caught up on something, and get COMPLETELY freaked out about it. I start worrying about whether I'm doing the right thing or not, and then I get all legalistic about it. Sometimes I forget about grace."

This is not the kind of hateful bigotry the GLBT community so often has to deal with from those professing their Christianity. Instead, it is the sincere beliefs of someone trying to do the right thing and apparently not yet convinced he has all the answers.

By the way, here is the link to Pride Radio which is just up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment