January 12, 2010

There Are Plenty of Catholics That Don't Rubber Stamp Official Vatican Policy

This article from Change.org refers to comments from one high-ranking Catholic, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and surveys in states where Catholics support gay rights in direct opposition to Rome:

Newsweek's Eleanor Clift asked Pelosi how she handled her brushes with the Church hierarchy. Pelosi responded that Catholic identity isn't what a few conservatives make it out to be.



"I have some concerns about the church's position respecting a woman's right to choose. I have some concerns about the church's position on gay rights," Pelosi writes. "I am a practicing Catholic, although they're probably not too happy about that. But it is my faith. I practically mourn this difference of opinion because I feel what I was raised to believe is consistent with what I profess, and that is that we are all endowed with a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions."


Pelosi's not alone in her sentiments, at least when it comes to issues pertaining to gay rights. Witness the statistics in places like New Jersey or Rhode Island, where most Catholics not only support your standard gay rights fare, but are fully behind marriage equality. The institutional Church might consider that blasphemy. But the people in the pews just consider it basic fairness.
 
Click here to read the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment