December 10, 2009

Daily Devotional 12/10/09 Anger Management

From:  Reflections

Matthew 5:38-39, NIV: “You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, ‘Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.’”

It can be like a slap in the face. Someone takes advantage of you or cheats you, and does so without a care. It’s evident that you are nothing to that person. You are simply a means to an end. What do you do? The easy and quick answer is to stand up for your rights. Some will tell you that, “You have to look out for yourself,” and, “You can’t let people walk all over you.” But the wisdom of Christ says something different. Jesus tells us to “turn the other cheek.” He tells us, “vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” He tells us, “bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.” About this time, something in my flesh may want to rise up and say, “But what about…” in this case or that? Am I willing to put aside my desire for vindication, and seek God’s desire above all? I can go to His Word and find direction if I am willing to follow in faith and obedience. I can find through Him a peaceful resolution that will ease my heart, and also bring Him glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment