January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

What a difference a year can make!

When Brenda and I began 2008, we were struggling in several areas. She was fighting some serious health issues, had become recently unemployed, and was facing one roadblock after another in searching for a new home for us to rent. I was angry, frustrated, and at times resentful of my work situation.

As 2009 opens, Brenda's health is significantly better, she is settled into a new job close to home that she loves, and we are in a huge, beautiful home in a very nice neighborhood that as I write this is full of lovely Christmas decorations. I found a new job which has afforded me opportunities I had long since resigned myself to never having in my career.

There is some really good stuff going on in our lives, and as we ended 2008 with a lot of positive momentum, Brenda and I have expectations that we will continue to build on that and make 2009 the best year of our lives.

We both feel very strongly that this is only possible through the blessings of our Lord. We stayed faithful even when we were dealing with some serious issues in early 2008 and before. I'll never forget literally feeling my blood run cold when Brenda told me the year before that the growth in her breast was cancerous. Fortunately, it was caught very early and, even though she had to endure three procedures, there was not a need for chemo or radiation and she is completely clear of cancer today.

It is critical to remember in tough times that the Bible tells us we will be tested. Just because we accept Christ and are willing to serve in His ministry doesn't mean there will not be adversity in our lives:

1 Timothy 3:10 And let them also be tried and investigated and proved first; then, if they turn out to be above reproach, let them serve.....

I now understand why I had to wait until my 50th year to be presented with the career opportunity I have now--I wasn't ready. I was tested and came up short. Now, being stronger in my faith, having a deeper relationship with the Lord, and having developed a character more pleasing to Him, I'm ready. I must be or else he would not have pointed me in this direction.

I share this with you today to not only tell you how blessed Brenda and I are, but to remind all of my readers that this is available to you too. We haven't done anything special, only sought out the will of the Lord, stayed obedient, and kept our faith strong even when it wasn't easy.

Anyone can do this. If you need to change the direction of your life, I hope our story helps you consider turning to Christ, taking His hand, and letting him lead you in a better direction--toward Him. If you're not sure how to do that, drop me a note and I'll be glad to help.

Have a blessed 2009 everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment