October 21, 2008

Human Rights Should NOT Be Granted By the Whim of the Majority

If my legal rights to marry, adopt children and avoid discrimination at work were subject to a vote (the infamous "will of the people") every so often, I would be confident that they would be upheld because, as a straight man, those rights are agreed upon by a clear majority of the people. Even then, however, I would have to wonder what kind of justice is really being done if my basic rights were subject to a referendum.

I believe the answer is that it would not be true justice. Just look at when Jesus was crucified. Pontius Pilate, trying to wash his hands of making any decision, asked the mob outside which prisoner he should release, Jesus or Barabbas, a convicted murderer. The overwhelming majority of the crowd wanted Jesus crucified allowng Barabbas to go free.

Fortunately, that story had a happy ending DESPITE the will of the majority. LGBT people in most parts of the United States are not that fortunate, having to constantly fight for rights people like me take for granted. Those who oppose equality often cite "the will of the people." Even victories for equality are constantly challenged by right-wing zealots who just won't give up.

Unfortunately, the majority usually votes in its perceived self interest, which often includes insuring minorities don't enjoy the same legal rights or social status. Judges who see these miscarriages of justice and have the nerve to rule accordingly are scorned and labeled "activist judges" who "legislate from the bench."

Brenda and I strongly support full and completely equal rights for same-sex couples and oppose any and all efforts to codify discrimination in state constitutions.

Here is a piece written by Lisa Neff on 365gay.com who shares her frustration in watching basic human rights put up for a vote.

A search for progressive issues on ballots finds too few across the country — and the interests seem more with protecting domestic animals than people. There is a real possibility that in California, the vote will be to ban gays and lesbians from marrying and another vote will require a more humane treatment of pregnant pigs, calves and hens by mandating a minimum living space.

Please, don’t get me wrong — I support the animal rights matter, known as Proposition 2. I just wish I could count on more support for humane treatment of people.

2 comments:

  1. I sincerely hope PROP 8 fails miserably.

    BUT - if it DOES passes, is everyone prepared to spend another ba-zillion dollars on PR and possibly wait 20-30 years to "win" equality in CA?

    AND - if it does NOT pass, which state will we focus on next so we can spend another ba-zillion dollars to purchase civil rights?

    I know I am virtually alone here (except for Charles Merrill and his partner), but I think all of you are insane.

    Truly crazy....one step away from writing-on-the-wall-with-your-feces crazy.

    Because if ALL of us truly believed we WERE equal, we would not be so patient as tax-payers and U.S. citizens. We'd simply KNOW we ARE equal, and refuse to pay into a system that not only denies our familes civil marriage but doesn't even acknowledge our existence (wait for the 2010 census).

    I'm 43, and I will NOT wait until I'm 73 for fair and equal treatment. It's OK for the country at large to be ignorant, bigoted, mid-guided, and mid-informed. But that's not my fault. So until people GROW UP and show my family the same "civil" respect heterosexually-identified families are given, I owe this country and the IRS nothing.

    How many times do I need to say this?
    TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

    ReplyDelete