April 06, 2008

April 25th is the National Day Of Silence

This year's national annual Day of Silence, when students observe a vow of silence to bring attention to bullying and harassment of LGBT students, will be dedicated to the memory of 15 year old Lawrence King. To read more about this event, and the connection to Larry King, go to:



http://www.365gay.com/Newscon08/04/040308sil.htm



I have to admit that my anger at the religious right gets even more intensified when I hear things like what I heard the other day on the radio. The talk show host said that we now know that Matt Shepherd was killed not because he was gay, but that it was a drug deal gone wrong!! I was stunned and absolutely speechless. He based this so called knowledge on the men who killed Matt and what they have said in prison. I'm sorry, but I don't think homophobes who killed a gay man are good witnesses of the truth!



It frustrates me that so many in our society still say that hate crimes against our community don't exist or that they aren't significant enough to worry about. To me, ANY beating or killing of a person because of their gender, orientation, skin color, religion, etc. should be something of concern to us.



As we remember Matt and Larry King this year, let's say a prayer for their families and, dare I say it, for all of the homophobes out there who think they're doing God's work or that the person they hurt deserves it. God can work on them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment