January 19, 2008

The political landscape in 2008

Jim and I were talking about politics and the Presidential Elections coming up this year and it got me to thinking about our choices.



I have a hard time with voting anymore because I am somewhat of an outcast. I am a Christian, pro-Life, fiscal conservative, constitutional purist, lesbian. That's a hard row to hoe! I don't feel comfortable voting Republican anymore because the party, as a whole, seems to take great pains to bash glbt people at every turn. I don't feel good voting Democratic because that party, as a whole, is basically pro-choice and hasn't done alot to court the glbt vote. They have not taken a strong stand for our civil rights. Frankly, voting Independent seems silly since we all know that there is no way an Independent is going to get the Presidency. It's just not something that can happen nowadays, as much as I'd love it.



So, where does that leave me? I'm not willing to vote for any of the Republican candidates at all. None of them are glbt supporters. I have been looking closely at the Democrats and, while I'd love to see a woman become President, I'm not a Hillary fan. I like Obama so far. I'm not what you'd call excited about Obama, but I like him. I could vote for him. The others in the race probably won't get the nod, so I don't spend much time thinking about whether I'd vote for them or not.



Voting for me has become a lesser of two evils thing. Do I vote for someone who I think will be a champion for the unborn but will set glbt people back 100 years? Do I vote for someone with a great glbt record who is pro-choice? It's a hard choice. The bottom line for me has become this: I vote based on what will affect my life and those I love the most. I have resigned myself to the fact that no candidate is going to think like I do. It's just not going to happen unless I run, and that's not happening! I have too many skeletons in my closet. Pardon the pun. So, I will vote for the person that I think will do things in their presidency to further glbt rights, help the economy, and do the most to get us out of this war. Beyond that, I don't get bogged down in all the wrangling and chit-chat.



Hopefully, whoever ends up running the country for the next 4-8 years will be someone that will take us to better places than the last 8 years have taken us. That is my prayer.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is it won't be hard to take us to a better place than we have been for the past 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to your post! It is a tough call either way!

    ReplyDelete