December 27, 2007

Let's Focus on the Positive Stories

I've been writing this blog for 2 1/2 years, and I've spent a good part of that time mocking or raging aginst the stupidity/hatred/bigotry of those who work so hard to deny basic rights to GLBT people.

As I'm moving toward a larger role in ministry, I don't want to do that anymore. There are enough people to write about the knuckleheads, but I think we tend to run a bit short of people featuring positive stories. I'll keep posting about the critical political happenings that affect the GLBT community, but I'm going to focus more on stories like this one from the Bay Windows newspaper in Boston, where Rev. Martin McKee is reaching out to the local GLBT people, not through politics but by loving them like Jesus would.

McLee prefers to live out his commitment to LGBT equality quietly. And he
sees himself more as a bridge builder than an advocate for any particular
constituency. "My approach is to lead by example with a resolve of seeking
justice and finding ways to be in community," he explains. "One of my biggest
challenges as a person - forget a pastor - in Boston is to build community in a
place where people are so comfortable just being in homogenous groups. And I’m
not used to that and don’t want to ever get used to that. So for me bridging
divides is a healthy and normative experience and certainly to the gay and
lesbian and straight communities, bridging those divides is a helpful journey.
It’s part of [how] I see myself in my ministerial role - in my humanity role -
trying to get folk to just come across the street and meet your neighbor."

1 comment: