November 21, 2007

Let's Take Time to Give Thanks on Thanksgiving

1 Timothy 4:4-5 (NIV) For everything God created is good, j and nothing is to be rejected k if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God l and prayer.

Thursday is Thanksgiving Day in the United States, but sadly we often get too caught up in family, food, and football to stop and give thanks.

Pastor Brenda and I are wrestling with a couple of issues right now that threatens to divert our focus from all that God has richly blessed us with. We're striving not to give in to that and appreciate the opportunity to spend time with her mother and all three of her sisters tomorrow and share a bountiful feast (and hopefully a little football) on Thanksgiving Day. Both of my parents passed away many years ago, so I'm happy that Brenda's family has accepted me with open arms.

This will be the first holiday without my brother, who passed away in late July, but my brother-in-law Mike is all set, entertaining a group at his home on Thanksgiving day, then receiving his family over the weekend. He is doing well and thankful for the possibilities life holds for him going forward.

My prayer for all of you this holiday is for you to focus on your blessings, on what you have instead of what you don't have. Use this as your guide:

2nd Corinthians 12:9 (NIV) But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

If you are feeling weak, you can draw your strength from God and be thankful for His presence, which He promised to us in His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment