June 08, 2007

"The Importance of Being an Ally"

This piece, written by an activist in Michigan, really hits home and expresses many of the thoughts I have as a GLBT ally myself. I recommend reading the entire piece, but here are a couple of excerpts:

Growing up in the United Methodist Church, I was taught that we’re all God’s children and the importance of the Golden Rule. Now, I may have been taught a different version of that basic tenet of life than the homophobes of society, because my Golden Rule never included fine print that read

Treat others as you wish to be treated….but only if they look like you, act like you, believe in what you believe, and aren’t different from you in any major way.

I believe we all have a duty to lead by example, something that I try to practice each and everyday. Allies have the upper hand in this fight, some might even say we already have our foot in the door. By leading by example for our family, friends and neighbors, and showing our support of the LGBT community, we can show others that it’s not just a gay issue, it’s an issue of personal rights and freedom, an issue that needs to be taken out of the courts, the government, and the churches, and an issue that shouldn’t matter, but a personal decision that should be respected and equally left alone.

Good stuff, and something I hope any straight person reading this blog who is not actively supporting their GLBT brothers and sisters will take to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment