May 09, 2007

A Republican Congressman Opens His Mind

From the Washington Blade:

As pro-gay legislation makes its way through the new Democratic-controlled Congress, gay rights advocates have found a staunch supporter from the Republican side of the aisle.

Rep. Christopher Shays (R-Conn.) has emerged as a reliable gay rights advocate and is a lead sponsor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and a sponsor of the hate crimes bill.

It wasn’t always this way.

In 1996, Shays voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which establishes marriage as between a man and woman in federal law.

But in an interview with the Blade this week, Shays said he has reconsidered his stance on gay rights.

“Gays and lesbians don’t want special rights,” he said. “They want the same as other Americans: equal protection under the law. They deserve no less.”

He said he changed his mind after watching media coverage of same-sex marriage ceremonies.

“My views on gay marriage have evolved since I voted for the Defense of Marriage Act,” he said. “At the time I thought I would not support gay marriages. But after watching the coverage of marriages being performed in states like California and New York, I have started to feel differently.

“I look at these marriages and wonder how they impact in any way the marriage I have with my wife,” he told the Blade this week. “I don’t think they do. I don’t think people need to fear this type of union. I recognize two people of the same sex can be involved in a loving, long-term relationship and feel no less love for one another than partners in a heterosexual relationship. Our challenge is to find a way to recognize a legally binding contractual relationship between two consenting adults of the same sex.”

Although Congressman Shays stops short of advocating for same-sex marriage, he has come a long way and realizes he doesn't have to defend his marriage or mine from anyone. Hopefully more folks on his side of the isle will invest enough of themselves in considering the issues like the congressman did. If so, it seems inevitable that they will reach a similar conclusion.

Thanks to gay news blog for the tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment