September 21, 2006

Changing My Policy on Comments

I do most of the talking on this blog, but I also listen and learn from the input I receive from my terrific readers. Recently, I have received some very constructive feeback, both publicly and privately, regarding the increase in negative comments being posted here.

When I started this blog, my goal was to keep it as an open forum where people on both sides of issues relating to the GLBT community could have a say. While I still think this is the ideal approach, it has become clear to me that it is not a viable one. My first priority here is to advocate for GLBT individuals, to be a place that gay Christians can come and receive the word of God and updates on issues relevant to them. I also want it to be a safe place for GLBT people who are struggling and have been deeply wounded by the homophobic religious right. I want them to be able to come here and find some word that will help them start the healing process and realize that God loves them just as much as he does me and Pastor Brenda.

The bottom line is I want this to be a safe place for GLBT people, somewhere they can come without having to worry about being attacked. In the spirit of trying to keep an open forum, I have allowed people to post some very hateful messages. Even thought they have been responded to in kind, I have grown to understand that the fact they are here in the first place can be hurtful. For anyone who has read some of those comments and been angered or hurt, please accept my apology.

It won't happen again.

If anyone wants to question scripture references and ask how I can feel a certain way, read the blog. I'm approaching nearly 300 posts and covered a lot of ground. If you're asking a sincere question, the answers are probably there. If not, don't bother posting a comment. If you want to post slanderous, homophobic, bigoted, hateful messages, take it somewhere else or start your own blog. Those type of comments will be deleted without exception.

Anybody who wants to challenge me on something is welcome to send an e-mail to straight_notnarrow@yahoo.com. I continue to hope there are people out there who will read the material here and ask questions with an open mind. Those folks are still welcome to comment and join our discussions.

Rather than stiffle discussion here, I want to encourage it. I often find the constructive comments here are better than my original post. Many readers have commented to me that this blog has been a blessing to them. Well, it works both ways--people who actively participate here have richly blessed me.

Aren't we all supposed to support and help each other grow? Isn't that what God had in mind when He first popluated the earth?

8 comments:

  1. Jim: "Aren't we all supposed to support and help each other grow? Isn't that what God had in mind when He first popluated the earth?"

    Absolutely! You have a good heart and you're a Christian! Unfortunately, there are professing "Christians" who take advantage of excellent, intellectually and spiritually honest blogs such as yours and seek to use them as forums to spew their venom and help fulfill their agenda of hate, in the name of God of course.

    I, too, never thought I'd censor any comments on my blog, but once I realized that there are people who merely want to vent their spleen and hurt others, regardless of contrary evidence and the commandment of Jesus to us to love others, I saw that my blog was going to be used to preach the very hate I was fighting against.

    For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly agree with your decision, for that's exactly what I have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim. I'm still reading your blog, and listening, and praying, and (hopefully) learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your desire to see more dialogue take place on this issue, but understand why you need to place this restriction on comments. Hopefully one day more Christians will learn how to treat those they consider opponents with grace and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm disappointed to see your decision. You clearly are not open to proper dialogue, but only to that which supports and massages your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, the definition of proper dialogue is very subjective. I gave you and everyone else the courtesy of knowing what mine is. Anyone who is frustrated by not having the freedom to spew hate and intolerance here can take the initiative to their own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I support the move. My community allows a lot of stuff - but though we're very liberal, we too provide a safe zone where people can come and not have to defend their sexual orientation or lives to those who really aren't there to try to understand, but to spread their own agenda. As a result, We've had to ban a short list of folks because of their insistence on disruption.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would not have happened had it not been made necessary. People get kicked out of town meetings, support groups, and public forums all the time for being disruptive and not treating other people in a respectful manner. So why should it be any different here? I think that's a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete