July 01, 2006

Gazette Column on Gays Called Vile, Hateful, Ill-informed"

Earlier this week, I commented on a column in the local (for me) Montgomery County, Maryland Gazette newspaper where their political columnist, Blair Lee, compared gays to pedophiles and serial killers. I expressed my outrage and I had plenty of company doing so. I directed my thoughts to Mr. Lee (I have not received a reply), but plenty of Gazette readers contacted the paper to express their outrage.

Here are a few I found particularly interesting:

"Just what is it about gays and lesbians that threaten Mr. Lee so much?"

"His ill-informed, ignorant, bigoted rants are an exact equivalent to the cases he makes about hostile speech directed at women and blacks. It is pitiful that he does not realize or understand the comparisons."

"As most extremists do, Mr. Lee excuses his condemnation and vilification of a group of American citizens by wrapping his argument up in religion. If it’s about religion, it can’t possibly be bigotry, hatred or discrimination, can it? "

"If such a vicious piece were written about any other minority group, would they be published?"

There are many more good thoughts the Gazette posted that are worth taking the time to read.

1 comment:

  1. Jim: My first visit to this site. I just got a divorce after 31 years. My two closest friends who have supported and helped me are gay. I would be lost without them. My straight son lives with a bisexual man. He is the kindest person I have ever known. I read through your comments and blogs. You make so much sense and I agree with all your postings. One doesn't choose to be gay any more than one chooses to be African American.

    ReplyDelete