May 12, 2006

Standing Up For Civil Rights

A few days ago, I wrote about teenager Tully Satre. He writes a blog for The Advocate and shared with his readers the rough time he had been getting from people identifying themselves as Christians. I was delighted how many readers here and from the other blogs that linked to my post joined me in sending him e-mails expressing affirmation and acceptance.

This young man gets it. I ran across his personal blog and a post he made a few weeks ago. Satre showed up at a town meeting with Senator George Allen (R-VA) near his home in Culpeper, Virginia and shares that story in his blog.

Despite a crowd largely friendly towards Allen, Satre took the podium during the Q & A session and engaged in a brief debate about LGBT equality in this nation's civil rights laws. His post goes into some detail about the experience and is worth reading in full.

I post it here to use this as an example of what I was talking about yesterday. More people need to step up to the podium and express to their elected officials that the current restrictions in the legal rights of GLBT people and the move to make that part of the federal and some state constitutions in unacceptable.

If a 16-year old, albeit an exceptional youngster like Satre, can make a stand in front of a crowd full of opponents, I suspect many of us can find a venue to speak out ourselves.

It's not about special rights, it's about equal rights and the prevention of constitutional discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment