March 19, 2006

"Literalism of Convenience"

I'm linking to what I feel is an outstanding letter written by a columnist for the Miami Herald. He writes it regarding an incident in a Miami high school, but his column goes much beyond that. The writer, Leonard Pitts Jr., gets to the very crux of much of the biblical arguement that is often used to preach hate toward homosexuals in our churches.

Regarding recent activities by organizations like the American Family Association, he eloquently states,

".....people are ignorant in Appalachia, strung out in Miami, starving in Niger, sex slaves in India, mass murdered in Darfur. Where is the Christian outrage about that? Just once, I’d like to read a headline that said a Christian group was boycotting to feed the hungry. Or marching to house the homeless. Or pushing Congress to provide the poor with health care worthy of the name.
Instead, they fixate on keeping the gay in their place. Which makes me question their priorities. And their compassion. And their faith."

I feel very strongly these priorities need to be questioned, and it is up to us to ask these questions.

5 comments:

  1. It is sad that people who call themselves christians do not practice what Jesus called the greatest comandments. To love God and to love others. He does not ever say to be selective about who you love. Jesus died for the sins of EVERYONE! All are precious in His eyes. The saying Love the sinner but hate the sin needs to be thrown out forever. Jesus said we must first take care of the plank in our eye before worring about the splinter in your brother or sisters. I love the theme of this sight but if you go on to read a little farther it goes on to say that NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING CAN KEEP US FROM THE LOVE OF GOD WHICH IS CHRIST JESUS OR LORD!!! Nobody no one can keep you from God's love enjoy it capture it its there for you. God has opened my eyes. Pray that God opens the eyes of my uneducated brothers and sisters. We are all God's people and deserve his love. My name is Brian and I am a straight voice for my homosexual brothers and sisters. May the love of God reach you all. It is not our job to judge but to love and accept all for who they are. Remember to LOVE GOD, LOVE OTHERS, AND FOLLOW JESUS!
    your friend in Christ, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely correct.

    These phony-baloney fundies have their priorities backward -- as usual.

    But you see Jim, we gays have ALWAYS been an easy target for Christians. Nothing new here.

    Boys kissing boys and ...., yikes, marrying, is something they can use for political expediency.

    Look at all the DINO Dems: Hillary, Kerry, Biden, Joementum, they want our time, money and energy, but say no to supporting gay marriage equity. They're advocates of the "separate, but equal" doctrine of civil unions.

    And what do these DINO Dems all have in common? They self-identify as people of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything that is preached which focuses on hate and not love goes against what I understand the message and purpose of Christ stand for. Love comes from Him, hate comes from man.

    I think GLBT people has always been easy targets, but the "fundamentalists" have a much more visible and louder pulput to spew from than they've had in the past. I think this is combination of their political strength and fund raising success. Their message is resonnating with a lot of people because they are who is screaming the loudest, and a large chunk of society is too lazy and/or disinterested to study GLBT issues for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim,
    I never thought of it this way, but you're right. I'm so used too hearing religious groups going after gays, abortion, or anything they do not agree with that I can not say I have ever seen these (misfits) I mean outfits put that much time and enginery into the things they should be caring for.
    Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIGHT ON!!!

    This hits my heart every time I think about it. how much more important is housing the poor, feeding the homeless, etc. than stopping gay marriage. There's very little consistency in the major church.

    I think you might like to hear, if you have the time, tony Campolo's thoughts on this. I linked his talk on my sidebar. just click on it if you have the time to liusten. I really think you'll like his perspective... for the most part.
    -Wes

    ReplyDelete