January 16, 2007

"Wide Berth Allowed on Teaching About Homosexuality"

Montgomery County, Maryland (where I live) is moving forward this spring with field tests of a new sex education cirriculum that introduces students to sexual orientation and transgenderism in grade eight and ten. Since the teaching will not be an outright condemnation, there are legal challenges already in the works.

Congratulations to the school board for having the courage to take this step forward, and the activist group "Teach The Facts" that has tirelessly lobbied and made this progress forward. They still have a lot of work ahead of them as this cirriculum is rolled out, but I'm proud to live in one of the more progressive counties in the nation.

Here is the Washington Post article on this development.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! I grew up in Montgomery Country and very much wish that a) this had been in place when I did and b) that I could be there now.

    ReplyDelete