January 17, 2010

NY Times' Maureen Dowd Talks With Odd Couple Attorneys Littigating Against Prop 8

From the New York Times:

It has been quite a journey for Ted Olson. He’s gone from being the conservative lawyer who helped crown W. by winning the Bush v. Gore case before the Supreme Court, to being a lesbian.



“Maureen,” he told me in his gravelly voice, “one of the biggest lesbian groups in this country told me I’m already an honorary lesbian.”


Did it make you feel different, I wondered.


“I still like women very much,” he wryly replied, as his biking pal, liberal adversary and now co-counsel David Boies laughed, snacking on a crust of sourdough bread in their temporary office on Mission Street.


In 2000, Olson and Boies sparred with each other in Washington over which candidate would marry the country. Now they have joined forces here to spar with Prop 8 defenders over who can marry.
 
I asked the lawyers if they were disappointed that the president who had once raised such hope in the gay community now seemed behind the curve.



“Damned right,” Boies snapped. “I hope my Democratic president will catch up to my conservative Republican co-counsel.”


Olson added: “I’m not talking about Obama, but that’s what’s so bad about politicians. They say, ‘I must hasten to follow them, for I am their leader.’”


Obama sees himself as such a huge change that he can be cautious about other societal changes. But what he doesn’t realize is that legalizing gay marriage is like electing a black president. Before you do it, it seems inconceivable. Once it’s done, you can’t remember what all the fuss was about.
 
We're pretty sure President Obama keeps up with the Times.  We hope he read that last paragraph.
 
Click here to read the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment