February 22, 2010

Affirming Words 2/22/10-Why I Love Jseus

When I was growing up, I used to hear some friends, some people at work, some people in church, some people on TV and lots of other people... say that homosexuality was wrong and sinful.



Because I knew that I was gay, their negative remarks, jokes and putdowns, seared into my heart and their painful words followed me wherever I went.


A few of them talked about how gay people had to change and be afraid of God like they were afraid of Him, and when I was young, I believed them. So I struggled silently through the years, trying to repent from being GAY, but it never worked. I prayed and prayed and prayed...but nothing. I realized it was impossible for me to be who they thought I should be.


Because I believed that God would only accept me if I changed, I focused on myself and how I was failing, and that went on for many, many years. But after much denial, frustration, exhaustion and stepping away, I decided to follow God anyway, even though I was gay. I hoped He would have mercy on me, and I discovered something: That Jesus was OK with me.


After all this time of listening to these people throughout the years and trying to be like them, I realized, that I was only good at being myself. And I discovered that Jesus did accept me and love me for who I was. They were wrong, and I had listened to them, instead of God.


The only one who actually stood by me was Jesus.
 
Click here to read the rest of this essay at The Epistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment