September 16, 2009

A Lutheran Minister Takes a Hard-Line Approach Toward LGBT Equality

Lutheran Pastor Lura Groen is an out lesbian who is happy at the action taken by the ELCA last month which opened the doors for LGBT pastors in committed relationships to serve in the denomination. Pastor Groen doesn't want anyone there to waste time patting themselves on the back, however.

From Queerty:

I’ll look across the table and say “pass the salt, please” to the anti-gay folks in our church, and love them as my sisters and brothers. I’ll feel their pain. But I won’t agree to disagree, and I hope you won’t either.

Because we need to truthfully, lovingly, tell those anti-gay sisters and brothers not only that they are wrong, but that they are sinful. I expect my straight allies to take up this work, not ask to be congratulated for the small steps we have taken. And I don’t expect non-Lutheran queer people to celebrate when we reach a compromise that still falls short of the church apologizing for the sin of homophobia, heterosexism, and silence.

Lutherans have agreeed to disagree on the issue of homosexuality in the church. While it's better than total exclusion of LGBT people, it's still a long way from acceptance, which I then believe is still short of fulfilling God's mission for the church. Should people like Pastor Groen be satisfied with the current situation, we don't think so.

What do you think?

Click here to read the rest of Pastor Groen's essay at Queerty.

No comments:

Post a Comment