June 24, 2008

How Sad...

When I heard of comedian George Carlin's passing away yesterday, I didn't think much about it because I wasn't necessarily a big fan of his. His humor was often crude and vulger. I just didn't get it.


However, today I was listening to public radio and one of the shows had an interview from 2004 with George Carlin as a tribute to him. I listened to it on a whim and it made me sad. I was sad because Mr. Carlin espoused his views on the world and life in general and it appears he was very much someone who thought that God was a concept, rather than a real person. George talked about how he believed that everything in the universe comes from the same molecular structure and so trees, people, machines, are all the same in the scheme of things. He seemed to feel that God wasn't so much to be worshipped, but to be ridiculed. George Carlin did what so many folks do...He saw religion as the same as God. He obviously had been hurt by religious people in his life and it made him bitter towards God.


He didn't realize this truth. Religion is man made, but God is real! What Mr. Carlin didn't know is that God was there for him. He loved him so much. I hope that he found the truth in his last hours, but the thought that he might not have found Jesus is just so hard for me to handle.


George didn't know that Jesus could be there for him. All he had to do was ask. He didn't know that God could heal his hurts. The fact that God was there for him just wasn't in George's consciousness.


It's so sad indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment