January 10, 2008

A Loving, Clarifying Christian Response

I am sensitive to the fact that, although Pastor Brenda and I minister to the GLBT community, we are not ourselves gay and do not have the depth of first-hand experiences a GLBT person does. Specifically here, I am referring to the hurt of being condemned by a church and the healing that must take place in a GLBT person who experiences this before they can live in the fullness of God's love. That's why I bring you some of these examples/stories directly from GLBT people that tie in to the message of our ministry.

Peterson Toscano cofounded the organization "Beyond Ex-Gay" with Christine Bakke (who I have the pleasure of meeting for the first time at the recent Gay Christian Network conference). On his blog Peterson Toscano's A Musing, he shares a response he sent to a professing Christian and "ex-gay" who had contacted Peterson and pleaded with him to "Pursue Jesus and he will heal you (presumably turn him straight)." Here is an excerpt from Peterson's wonderful, loving response:

You wrote to lead us to Jesus. You wrote to tell us how wonderful life is
with Jesus and the joy we will find in being in relationship with him. I know
this joy and live it daily. My "gay lifestyle" includes worshiping with other
believers every week as well as sweet times of fellowship on my own with God. My
"gay lifestyle" includes listening to God and following God's leading, which has
affected nearly every part of my life including my diet, my friendships, my
career, my sexuality and how I view and use my body.

We don't blame the ex-gay programs for all the hurt we suffered. Much of it
was self-induced, spurred on by a society, an ungodly world, that along with
some portions of the Church, believes that one must be heterosexual to be
acceptable. In this belief the "unsaved" world and the Church live in unison,
much like the church and the world both supported slavery for centuries. There
is too much of worldly values in the Church of Jesus, and it is time that the
church no longer conform to the pattern of this world but experience a renewing
of the mind.

Instead of lashing out at those from the Christian Right who don't get it, the approach Peterson uses here, especially to someone who was reaching out in love, however misguided, can be the most effective answer. If people see the light of Christ shining through GLBT people, as I did when I first started attending a gay-affirming church, that could lead them to an appreciation of how God loves GLBT people right where they are.

Instead of taking offense, this approach can disarm them and lead to understanding.

1 comment:

  1. ...that could lead them to an appreciation of how God loves GLBT people right where they are. Instead of taking offense, this approach can disarm them and lead to understanding.

    This is the high road, and is the answer. As a visual analogy, it's the concrete and rebar which is the material needed to build the bridge. We post a Bible study to debunk the clobber passages, and that helps the individual who is trying to come to terms with their faith and orientation - it will rarely help to make a convert from the conservative viewpoint. Argue scripture till the cows come home, only goes so far, but let them see your light.

    ReplyDelete