June 19, 2006

Happy Birthday to This Blog

One year ago today, I made my first entry in this blog. I had no idea if anyone would read it or, if they did, care about what I wrote. All I knew was that I had something to say. A year later, Straight Not Narrow has been visited over 13,000 times, almost 7,500 of them within the last three months. People from 84 different nations have found this tiny corner of the blogosphere, and over 100 sites are linked to this blog.

Most importantly, many of the visitors here have contributed to the discussion of important issues or spiritual topics. I frequently think that the comments are better that what I write, and that’s fine with me. I’ve learned a lot over the past year…..

I’ve learned that there are many people in the GLBT community that are deeply, deeply wounded. Sadly, much of that pain has been administered by their families, both biological and within the church, often in the name of love.

I’ve learned there are a lot of people with a lot of money that will do or say ANYTHING to influence people to hate homosexuals as much as they do.

I’ve seen the Holy Spirit manifest in gay and lesbian women. I know for a fact that anyone who says that is not possible is wrong.

I have been reminded that there are few politicians who have the courage to take a stand that might not be to their direct political benefit.

I have learned that there are no limits to how much Jesus loves ALL his people and wants to bless us. If we don’t feel that in our lives, we are the one limiting Him.

I have seen things said and done in the name of God that I cannot imagine he is remotely connected with.

I have experienced a great enrichment in my life by getting to know and love gay and lesbian leaders and members of my church. I also treasure their love for me.

I have seen the power of people with different gifts and different perspectives getting together to work for a cause they all believe in.

I have learned that I still have a lot to learn about the GLBT community, but that it’s worth the effort.

I hope you will help me, or allow me to help you, work for GLBT equality in the political arena and Christ’s church in the next year and beyond.

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your blog, may you be blessed for your efforts and may you be blessed regardless. Thank you for the time and effort that you put into this.

    Another light in the dark, may it grow to illuminate many more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many Happy Returns of the Day! I so value your openness to learn and grow as an ally. I appreciate your humility and commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your blog.

    May I ask a question?

    How do you square your acceptance of gay marriage with Jesus's words in Matthew 19 (and others) that quite plainly reserve marriage for a man and a woman?

    I too, support gay marriage, but I have yet to hear an satisfactory explanation of this passage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful comments, I am very appreciative and touched.

    John,

    I believe the traditional understanding of Matthew 19 is too limiting. If you look at it carefully, you won't see any language restricting marriage to a man and a woman. True, that is all Jesus referred to in that passage, but that doesn't exclude other options.

    I believe God has a pattern of gradual revelation, based on what He feels man is capable of processing at that time. During Jesus' time, He was moving mankind away from the model with multiple wives and concubines to monogamy. That is the focus of Matthew 19.

    We are moving into the time where He is revaling the next step we are to take in relationships. True love, monogamy, and marriage can come regardless of the couple's gender mix. I don't find anything in the Bible that tells my any differently. I'm listening to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which will NEVER contradict scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim,

    I disagree with your last line, although we might be arguing semantics.

    It seems to me that follow the spirit of Christ does indeed contradict the scriptures. But then, I also feel that Jesus himself had no problem with contradicting the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, I´m a frequent reader of your blog and I want to congratulate you for the blogversary. I Guess I´m one of the wounded gay people, who really loves his relatioship with God, but can´t simply stand going into a church again (I was raised a catholic, so it´s easy to understand why I don´t feel confortable at my home church anymore).
    But reading your words help a lot in healing those wounds. You are a really blessed person.
    Big hugs from Rio, Brazil. (yes, what you said about your "nations of the world" readership is thoroughly accurate :-D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated blogiversary, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ... First of all Happy Birthday to your Blog. I just found it, and I am profoundly touched at your committment to love in spite of your Mother keeping you and your brother apart. I'm sitting here writing this with such deep pain because I can't seem to shake the rejection I have known from loved ones all my life, or the being dismissed as a mere sex act by many in the church who delight in making sure I am not welcome at the table of fellowship. Thank you for being here and creating this blog. May many other weary travelers find there way here and perhaps know what it is to experience healing.

    ReplyDelete