May 09, 2006

"What Was Once a Truly Beautifully Represented Religion"

Those were the indicting words of Tully Satre, a contributor to "The Advocate" and the founder of Equality Fauquier-Culpepper in Virginia. He's also a junior in high school.

Satre received a lot of feedback recently from Christians, none of it good according to him. Here are a couple of the most disturbing quotes from his column:

"I have seen—more often than not—Christians as a people whose sole purpose and mission in life is to “help” people be unaccepting of themselves, give up their own truths, and trade them in for a fake life. "

".....nearly every single letter and act toward me in the name of Christianity or by a Christian person has been hateful, isolating, and completely focused on my “self-destructive actions.”

Satre closes with this:

"I am not asking for an explanation; I am asking for a reason: Why have I not received a single letter from anyone saying they accept me because they are a Christian? "

I know he's received at least one because I sent him an e-mail. I suggest you do the same. Show Tully that God loves him as he is and that he is accepted by Christians who understand that. His e-mail address is tully@efcva.org

Folks, this is what we are up against when we reach out to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. We've got a lot of work ahead of us. We need to reach out futher because of those who have pushed them away from God.

7 comments:

  1. I sent an email. Thanks for the heads-up and the chance to say something loving -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent an email and a little piece of my heart as well as a tear that fell on my cheek as I typed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing this out, Jim.

    I sent a message, and posted about it as well;

    http://frjakestopstheworld.blogspot.com/2006/05/countering-christian-hate.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was proud to send him a note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fr. Jake, long time no see. I miss you. Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I send him emails a lot and didn't realize he felt this way about Christian folk. I'll "out" myself as a Christian and send him another one. Thanks, Jim.
    Love you.
    Sharone

    ReplyDelete