April 27, 2006

Why Are "Fundamentalists" Anti-Gay?

Today, I had the first in an ongoing series of weekly columns posted at the site "Gay Christian Outreach." This is a growing community of GLBT Christians who believe as I do that the phrase is not an oxymoron.

I jump in headfirst with my first contribution, taking on the issue of why "fundamentalists" are so strongly anti-gay. Here's a hint--not much of it is about religious doctrine.

While you're there, check out the site and consider joining the numerous discussions they have there.

"Why Are Fundamentalists Anti-Gay"

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jim. I read your article on GCO and very much appreciate the support you offer our GLBT brothers & sisters. I am the Vice Chair of my UU church's GLBT+Friends group, and passed your site info on to the entire group.

    We here in Tennessee are working toward Marriage Equality, i.e. basic civil rights, as there will be an amendment on the ballot in November to define marriage as one man + one woman. We are fortunate enough to have lined up good speakers and other supporters to help us aid others in getting the vote out. We are particularly interested in enlisting the help of our supportive straight friends. I am straight, as is my husband, who is Secretary for the GLBT+F group, and we hope to encourage other straight but not narrow folks to "come out of the closet" now and support civil rights, not religious rites.

    Blessings to you for your support and your willingness to share so openly.

    Peace,
    WIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Doug Muder on this subject? He makes some excellent points: http://www.gurus.com/dougdeb/politics/209.html

    ReplyDelete