August 07, 2009

Encouraging Words 8/7/09-"Different Families"

So how does it feel to be raised by two parents who happen to be of the same sex? Bay Windows GLBT newspaper in New England went right to the source, asking the 10-year old daughter of a lesbian couple what her family was like. Here's an excerpt:

I may not be what you think of as a qualified advice columnist, but I have learned a few things growing up with my two moms in a small town outside of Boston. If you are wondering what it is like to be a 10-year-old living with two moms and a sister, I have some news for you.

Some people ask some very personal questions about your life, and other people look at you in funny ways. It’s important to stay true to yourself instead of changing your style just because other people are curious or nervous or uncomfortable around you and your family-even if they say mean things to you or about you. Here’s a few of the most common questions people ask me about my family.

At the top of the list, most people ask, "Why do you have two moms?"

I have two moms because they love each other and wanted to have a family. My sister and I were born in China. We’re not blood related and all that, but we love each other and are one family brought together because of these two people.


I'll tell you what, there are a LOT of people who can learn from this 10-year old.

Click here to read the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment