February 01, 2008

I Speak Out Against the NFL on TV News

In an interesting set of circumstances, I wound up being interviewed by WUSA TV 9 in Washington, DC about the Super Bowl party my church, Believers Covenant Fellowship, is having on Sunday.

First came a story on the front page of today's Washington Post reporting about the National Football League is cracking down on the size of televisions used to watch the Super Bowl at large church gatherings. The league, the wealthiest sports league in the world, announced plans to strictly enforce it's copyright and limit the size of screens displaying a broadcast of the game to 55 inches.

This became a national story last year when the NFL sent a letter to a church in Indianapolis warning them not to follow through on their advertised plans to broadcast the game, featuring their hometown Colts, on a video screen exceeding the 55 inch limit.

Following up on this story, Channel 9NewsNow report Bruce Leshan did a Google search to find a local church still planning on having a Super Bowl party. He ran across the BCF website and the ad I placed on Craig's List advertising our event. Leshan contacted me and, with the blessing of Apostle Dale, I spoke with him on camera in front of the church.

The story appeared on Friday night's 5:00 PM newscast, and the transcript is here. We were thrilled that the signage of our church was very prominently displayed during the story, and that the video clip they use of my interview didn't make me sound stupid.

I had no idea when I woke up this morning that I would be on the 5:00 news, and that it would be a GOOD thing. Leshan did a wonderful job making me feel comfortable and asking good questions, and BCF got positive television exposure we could never have dreamt of paying for.

All because of a silly football game. Isn't God good!

1 comment:

  1. That's a pretty awesome story! In Canada I'm part of a movement trying to get the government to reform copyright legislation to be more fair. I'm putting "size of device" onto next meetings agenda.

    ReplyDelete