December 21, 2007

Survivor: Another Gay Man Wins!

Jim and Brenda know that Erica and I enjoy watching Survivor on television. This season's winner, Todd, was interviewed on Logo Online and I read the interview with great interest. Todd is a 22-year old gay Mormon.

What I found interesting about him is that he didn't seem overt about his sexuality on the show, as so many gay players have been in the past. It turns out that it was edited that way. He came out to the women of his tribe the first night! He was asked how a women named Leslie, who was identified as a Christian radio host, responded to his being gay. He said that she loves everyone and talked about how incredible she is and that she feels everyone is God's child. What a testimony that is to everyone who reads it! It really struck me when I read this interview that I had been predjudicial toward Leslie because I assumed that she would not react well if she found out because, after all, she was a Christian radio host. She couldn't possibly be an enlightented Christian, right? Well, shut my mouth. It was good to see that I was wrong.

If you care to read the article, there were other good tibits in it. It's found at: http://www.afterelton.com/people/2007/12/toddherzog.

2 comments:

  1. Three pages of fluff and nowhere does the word "Mormon" appear.

    Considering that Herzog insists that he is an "openly gay Mormon," which is an impossibility, one would think that maybe the question should have come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this Q & A in particular struck me as really a great way to put things and definitely spoke to his Mormonism and sexuality.
    Thanks for reading!
    Sharone

    "AE: You’re frequently identified as Todd Herzog, gay Mormon. Is it important that folks know those two things about you?
    TH: I don't think it's important to me. I don't know. It automatically causes people to judge, to be honest. If people want to know how I was raised, I'll tell them. If people want to know who I am, I'm not afraid to tell them. I think the people who do judge me and say, "You can't be both," are actually the sinners."

    ReplyDelete