November 10, 2007

Gay Jamaican Man Granted Asylum in the U. S.

It's good to see that the federal government has not totally given up on the idea of protecting human rights. From PinkNews.

A gay man who feared persecution because of his sexual orientation if forced to return to Jamaica has been given asylum in the United States.

The grant of asylum to Ven Messam was issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and comes at a time when conditions for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people in Jamaica are getting more dangerous by the day.

International human rights organisations have described Jamaica as one of the most homophobic places in the world.

Gay and lesbian relationships are largely conducted in secret.

"I am grateful to the United States government for saving my life," said Mr. Messam.

"My life in Jamaica was constantly in danger, with angry mobs carrying machetes, stones, knives, and guns, threatening to kill me because I am gay.

"When I tried to contact the police for help, the police instead threatened to arrest me and told me to leave the country if I wanted to stay safe."

Sex between men in Jamaica is illegal, and punishable with up to ten years in jail, usually with hard labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment