October 27, 2007

Introducting a New Contributor

Hi there. My name is Sharone Belt. Some of you have read comments that I've written on this blog in the past few years.

I am writing today to introduce myself as a new contributor to this blog. Thank you, Jim, for inviting me to be more involved in the blog. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts and ideas with your readers.

I am 41 years old and live with my partner of 14 years, Erica. We have been living in Texas, but will be moving back to the Washington, DC area in the next few months and are happy to be "coming home". We are renewing our membership at Believers Covenant Fellowship when we return. We were members of the church for about 7 years before leaving almost 2 years ago to move out of the area.

Jim and I became fast friends when his then girlfriend, Brenda, introduced us at church. He has a big heart and a quick wit, so we had a lot in common. Our shared vision for sharing God's love to GLBT people in particular was something that helped us bond early on. We both have a passion for writing our thoughts when we have strong emotions about a news story, personal situation, etc.

While Jim is an awesome advocate for us, I think that I can bring a different sensibility to this blog since I am gay myself. I also have some beliefs and convictions that are unique. For one thing, I was a Republican most of my life. I only became an Independent last year out of disgust for the Republican Party's constant problem with integrity as well as it's catering to the religious right. I am also a person who believes abortion on demand to be detrimental to the women, men, and children involved. It's not a real popular view, especially with my GLBT friends!

Well, that's about it for now. I just wanted to share a little bit about me. I'll write more as time goes on. I hope that you enjoy my take on things.

God bless.

Sharone

Sharone has spent time working with Equality Virginia and was a GLBT activist well before I even addressed those issues. I'm happy to have her as part of this blog and looking forward to her contributions.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for your stance on abortion in the GLBT community. I have similar views born out of the fact that I am gay but still can't find in my heart a place to legitimize abortion under all the circumstances our laws permit it. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input. I wish you had left your email address, but want you to know that if you'd like to talk about this issue, you can email me privately at sharone.belt@gmail.com. Would love to talk to you.
    Sharone

    ReplyDelete