August 27, 2007

Vermont Mom Blasts Anti-Gays

Sometimes a person just can't take any more without blowing off some steam. That appears to be the case with this letter written by a lady in Vermont who has a gay son. The letter was posted on Family Pride (thanks to PageOneQ for the tip). I highly recommend reading the whole letter, but here are some excerpts:


Many letters have been sent to the Valley News concerning the homosexual menace in Vermont. I am the mother of a gay son and I’ve taken enough from you good people. I’m tired of your foolish rhetoric about the “homosexual agenda” and your allegations that accepting homosexuality is the same thing as advocating sex with children. You are cruel and ignorant. You have been robbing me of the joys of motherhood ever since my children were tiny.


My firstborn son started suffering at the hands of the moral little thugs from your moral, upright families from the time he was in the first grade. He was physically and verbally abused from first grade straight through high school because he was perceived to be gay.


You have the audacity to talk about protecting families and children from the homosexual menace, while you yourselves tear apart families and drive children to despair. I don’t know why my son is gay, but I do know that God didn’t put him, and millions like him, on this Earth to give you someone to abuse. God gave you brains so that you could think, and it’s about time you started doing that.


If you want to tout your own morality, you’d best come up with something more substantive than your heterosexuality. You did nothing to earn it; it was given to you. If you disagree, I would be interested in hearing your story, because my own heterosexuality was a blessing I received with no effort whatsoever on my part. It is so woven into the very soul of me that nothing could ever change it.


You use religion to abdicate your responsibility to be thinking human beings (emphasis mine). There are vast numbers of religious people who find your attitudes repugnant. God is not for the privileged majority, and God knows my son has committed no sin.


This is some seriously righteous anger, and I am thankful this lady directed it in a way that can be illuminating to others, especially those who accept their responsibility to be thinking human beings.

2 comments:

  1. Her letter really strikes to the core. God bless her boldness to write that. Thank you for posting this. Do you think this recent article about medieval same-sex unions in 15th century "Christian" Europe will inflame the conservatives much? Makes one wonder how progressive we are (not). What horrific redaction of history transpired in the past couple of centuries? You fast do you think the fundamentalists will disclaim these findings about medieval Europe? When did we recreate the Dark Ages for Christianity (and the world) while professing to sustain the light?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole, I'd love to think that the medieval revelations would do something to contemporary fundamentalist christianity, but I just don't see it. Remember, that was the Catholics, pre-Reformation... to today's fundamentalist, they're the whore of Babylon, and any acceptance of gays back then would simply be one more reason the church was corrupt. Here's hoping, though.

    ReplyDelete