June 09, 2007

Let's Talk About Pride Events

I'll be participating in my second Pride event on Sunday, where Pastor Brenda and I will be working at the booth our church, Believers Covenant Fellowship, has at the Capital Pride street festival in the shadow of the U. S. Capitol.

Attending my first Capital Pride two years ago inspired me to start writing this blog (hopefully you think that was a good result). My first post here was about my experience, and as Straight Not Narrow celebrates Pride Month and our second anniversary, I invite you to post a comment here and share you experience at your local Pride event. Our friends Sharone and Erica are participating in Albuquerque Pride, and I bet a lot of you out there will also have stories to tell.

Please do.

2 comments:

  1. Just a greeting to say I hope you had a great time at Pride. I attended my first Pride event ever in DC in 2003. It was a blast!

    I remember how happy I was to see some religious groups with booths to support the LGBT community. I wore my "God Made Me Gay" sticker from one of them with extra pride all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Brenda and I are just back from today's Capital Pride Festival and we had a fantastic time. I made the rounds introducting people to our new ministry, Affirming Christian Network (read the post above for info on that). We had a lot of wonderful people stop by our booth and our church's booth next to us. We were also blessed by some very pleasant weather and noticed how the festival has grown since we were last there in 2005.

    I was again happy to see such a strong turnout by families, both traditional and untraditional. For every exhibitionist, we saw at least ten familes carting around little kids or their dogs. There were a lot of people there to have fun, but there were a LOT of activists drumming up support for the key issues facing the LGBT community (AIDS, workplace discrimination, same-sex marriage, etc.).

    All in all, Capital Pride had something for everybody, even a straight guy like me.

    ReplyDelete