June 28, 2006

Responding to Stupdity and/or Bigotry

The good folks at Equality Maryland alerted me to this column written in the local Montgomery County, Maryland Gazette newspaper.

The writer, Blair Lee, is a longtime pundit on area politics. He was upset about Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich removing Robert Smith from the local Metro transportation board because he referred to homosexuality as "deviant behavior" based on his Catholic faith.

Lee believed this was simply a case of opportunistic Democrats trying to cause trouble for a Republican governor who is up for reelection, and he is certainly entitled to that opinion. He is not entitled to this one, however:

"But the homosexual lobby is desperately and relentlessly trying to parlay the public’s tolerance into the acceptance of homosexuality as normal. After all, if God made homosexuals then homosexuality must be normal, right? Sorry, just because God created you doesn’t mean you’re normal. God created pedophiles and serial killers, too."

I expressed my outrage at this statement directly to Mr. Lee, and I'm publishing that e-mail here:

Dear Mr. Lee,

I have read your columns over the years in the various newspapers where they have appeared and respect your take on local politics. Even when I have disagreed with you views, I found them to be clearly stated and well supported.

Unfortunately, in your 6/23 column in the Gazette, you strayed from your area of expertise and showed ignorance at best, intolerance and bigotry at worst. You wrote:

But the homosexual lobby is desperately and relentlessly trying to parlay the public’s tolerance into the acceptance of homosexuality as normal. After all, if God made homosexuals then homosexuality must be normal, right? Sorry, just because God created you doesn’t mean you’re normal. God created pedophiles and serial killers, too.

Comparing homosexuals' place in society to pedophiles and serial killers is offensive and repugnant. I happen to be straight myself, but my brother and several members of my church family who I love very much are homosexual. I deeply resent you grouping these wonderful people in with murders.

Just so you know, many of the "perponderance of American religions" you refer to once treated women and blacks as lesser citizens. They grew beyond that as hopefully they will grow beyond their condemnation of homosexuality today.

I hope you show better judgement in your future columns and stick to politics. Leave the larger issues to those who have a grasp on reality.

Jim Johnson
www.straightnotnarrow.org

I encourage anyone who reads the column and agrees with me to send Mr. Lee an e-mail. His address is at the bottom of the page.

3 comments:

  1. I've just read the story you wrote in «About Me» concerning your brother and mother, and I'm quite moved. Even the persons you love most in life can make huge mistakes. More significant, however, is the way you found yourself to get back to your brother. As you say, that kind of behavior is not «mainstream» at all, and that's why I'm so impressed, i.e., touched. My reaction has obviously to do with the outgoing image of USA, especially through the media. In my opinion, it has never been worse, as far as these issues are concerned. Congratulations! I'm sure you're a man of good will (for me, «a good man» means just «a nice, kind man», and that´s too weak). I'll be back to read more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to add my thanks for all you write and do!

    I often stop here and read and think. I'm a gay Christian and this is a good place to be.

    Just wanted you to know how appreciated it is!

    In Jesus,

    FB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr.Smith had a public service job....um Duuh!!
    Of course he was removed...obviously Mr.Lee hasn't heard about the seperation of Church and State....Typical Right-Wing Ultra-Consevative point of view.

    ReplyDelete